Monday, June 4, 2012

It's all in the package.






When I was expecting our first baby, I received a package in the mail from an old friend. It was so exciting because after I opened the standard, plain ,brown box, I discovered a beautiful red box tied with an ivory grosgain ribbon. This is when I really started to appreciate good packaging.  I mean honestly we all know it makes every purchase better. If pretty packages weren't so important to us the makeup industry wouldn't exist. So today I wanted to work on the packaging for my bridesmaid clutches. I am always drawn to kraft paper and other natural mediums. And I knew I had to pull out my handy dandy baling twine, cause I always do. Now let me tell you that I thought I had discovered something when I started using baling twine years ago for projects and then I learned that the crafting community uses it all the time.



Recognize it? Y'all call it jute.
I also wanted to update my tags. This ironically involved a process to make them look older. My fab Sastor (typo intentional) is a CPA by day but is a scrapbooker by night. On my last visit to her house, she taught me how to distress paper using a "dauber" and an ink pad. OK experienced scrapbookers you can laugh at me all you want. I am new to this paper thing but I have to confess I am getting addicted.  

Look at the difference in the distressed paper. Perfect style for almost everything I make.
I also wanted to make a new business card to stick in the clutches.
 Certain that the girls would keep them and pass them around when asked, "Where did you get that awesome bag?"
This is what I came up with. Yep, you guessed it Kraft Cardstock! I have decided to use my name as my business title. I have concerns that it appears somewhat narcisstic but I would hate to invent a cute name and later outgrow it. Candy Ogg I will always be. And so I shall plaster it everywhere. The chicken wire accent has grown on me. I have always loved the farm life but as I gain confidence in who I am, I feel as though I can use the country accents in subtle ways without appearing too hokey. After all, I do have most of my teeth.

Here is the finished product. I hope they enjoy them as much as I have enjoyed making them.
I learned from this project how much I can enjoy sewing and hope to use this information in the future. I always accept jobs from others because I basically want to earn enough money to support my habit. But I need to learn to say "no" to the projects that I'm not really excited about and save my time for new prospects.  I read somewhere that "it's not wasted time if you enjoy wasting it." Maybe I should make a sign for my craft room.  

No comments:

Post a Comment