Saturday, August 11, 2012

Our Friday Tradition

   We have started a little family tradition. I honestly can't even remember when  it began, but I'm glad it did. It's not a big deal and perhaps that is part of why I like it the most. It
is nice to know that we can just enjoy the little things in life. So here it is. On Friday's we have homemade pizza. At first, I enjoyed this so much because it was one night that I didn't have to come up with an idea for supper. Now I get a kick out of watching the kids look forward to it. They get to have a sprite and eat picnic style on a blanket in the living room floor. We also let 2 & 3 sleep together. I guess that kinda reveals part of why they like it so much. They are hopped up on sugar and have a mini slumber party.
  Well, yesterday we were out of pizza sauce and I did not want to go to town to get any more. I knew I couldn't cancel pizza night over this and then I had a brain storm. Homemade Sauce. We have tomatoes coming out of our ears. So maybe, just maybe if this works out I can "can" my own. Perfect, kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Use tomatoes and have extra sauce stored up. I went straight to the computer and pulled up pinterest( I want to suport the sites that support me. HA HA HA.) Another recommendation for my blog was for me to post recipies. Small problem there, I don't use them often. I normally look up several different recipies and then combine them in my head. This is what I did tonight.
   I will drop a few photos of the sauce process later when I actually process some jars and I will include a complete recipie. But for this post, just pizza pics.
 For the dough, I use a store bought package. Normally the generic or what is on sale. I think the Betty Crocker is slightly sweeter. My little trick, I add biscuit mix. We need to make two pizzas for this big ole crew so I need more dough, but not enough for two packages and I think the biscuit mix makes the crust kinda flaky. Plowboy thinks its better than Pizza Hut or Dominoes. That's all the aproval I need.

I cover the dough with olive oil and drape a towel over the bowel and then place it on the back eye of the stove because it has a vent to the oven and it helps the dough rise while the oven preheats.

 Last special trick. IRON SKILLET. Grease it with shoretening and put it in the oven while it preheats. This will make the dough nice and crispy. Yummy!








The moral of this story,   try to enjoy each other even if the kids are fussing and the hubby works til 9:00. And if it is pizza night. People please try the iron skillet!


p.s. the sauce was pretty good. Gonna try to can some soon.

2 comments:

  1. Candy, what's your ratio for the pizza dough? I'm looking forward to trying the iron skillet pizza. Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Between 1/2 to 1/4 cup of bisquick and the water I just add until the consistency is correct. I didn't realize how often I "wing it" in the kitchen until I decided to blog. I often think I could blog this or that, that I have made and then realize I can't describe exactly how I did it.
    I'm working on doing better with that. Hand in there and keep the comments and recommendations coming. Thanks

    ReplyDelete